“So we came down the road; when we meet other ways-not always were we sure that they were roads at all, for they be neglect and light snow have fallen-the horses know, and they only, I give rein to them, and they go on so patient.”
Memorandum by Abraham Van Helsing,
Dracula,
by Bram Stoker
2 August, 1914 - Base Camp
His steps were deliberate; best to concentrate on them than the shifting scenes in front of his eyes; but with each step, the sight in front of him resolved into the familiar camp.
He followed Bacsi to a sheltered area below some scrub bushes by the water’s edge. Here was a rough resemblance to a garden.
“Ah, the salvia look healthy.” Bacsi quickly drew out a small penknife and deftly harvested several violet colored plants. “I try out different varieties here to see what flourishes. The most potent plants are ones that grow in the wild.” He turned and smiled, “Well almost wild.”
“Is that parsley, and rosemary?”
“Good, you know something of plants. We also like our fresh herbs for our field kitchen here too. Karoly has tried to keep a patch of caraway growing for his stew, but with not too much success.”
“What about the parsley?”
“Too late for the leaves, too soon for the roots.”
“What is the salvia for?”
“Not for eating, for seeking wisdom.”
Heading back to the field kitchen, they watched Nicolai throw a small saddle with no strappings on one of the horses and show Quincey how to mount by swinging up into the saddle.
Quincey shook his head, gesturing to his tight fitting Levi’s. Whereupon all three started loosening their large belts indicating they were ready to change clothes. The startled expression on his face as he backed up, waving his hands, aptly conveyed his discomfort for that suggestion. All three laughed in response.
It was not surprising to Jonathan that Quincey declined their offer. The loose fitting blue skirting they wore over their britches looked unwieldy even to him. However the britches alone, similar to what he was wearing, were very comfortable, but, he could see, would wear out easily. In fact, he reddened a little, wondering if what he wore was an undergarment.
However, his shirt extended to his knees, with long slits on the sides, and he did like the wide leather belt around his middle. He thought he could easily mount the horse with this outfit.
Nicolai mounted again, and, turning the horse to the road, started off at a trot. Lupa made a whining noise, and with a nod from Sabina, she happily yelped and trotted after the horse and rider; taking the lead quickly even as Nicolai gave his horse its lead to pick its own pace.
They watched horse, rider, and wolf disappear, causing Jonathan to remark, “How did Sabina ever end up with Lupa?”
“It was Karoly that found her, although he thinks it was no accident. She was lying in the middle of the road we use to travel between the castle and Watch Mountain. It is very unusual to see wolves at any time, but here was this lone cub, in the open, during the daytime.
“The cub watched, but did not move, and, when Karoly came closer, he could see a front leg was broken badly; also he noticed the cub had a full belly and seemed unafraid. He thinks the she-wolf left her cub on the road for us to find, but that is not normal behavior.
“However, Karoly was able to bring the cub back to camp, and the good doctor set the broken leg, and of course, Sabina cared for, and bonded with the little one.
“Now there may be something to Karoly’s story. When Lupa accompanied Sabina and the others to the castle, she disappeared for quite some time around the area where she was found, but still, returned to the group.
“What do you think?”
Jonathan, surprised that Bacsi would ask his opinion, gave the story some thought.
“I could see Lupa, with her wolf senses, reacting to some familiar scents and have a need to investigate them. That certainly seems wolf-like.”
Bacsi snorted in approval.
Encouraged, Jonathan went on, “If that is true, then what will she do if she does find her pack?”
“Yes,” Bacsi said slowly, “what will she do? And why did not her mother abandon Lupa when she was injured?”
He looked at Jonathan, “You see Jonas, everything must be questioned, this land does not have clear rules or boundaries, and it is up to anyone dwelling here to step cautiously and to examine everything.”
A shout caught their attention. They turned in time to see Quincey seated on one of the horses, raising a hand in exaltation, momentarily, before he and the saddle slid from their view. Laughter erupted behind the horse as Karoly reached out to break Quincey’s fall, and even more laughter accompanied both men falling to the ground.
Their laughter was infectious and Jonathan could not help but join in. It felt good. “Why saddles with no girth strappings?”
“Well they are not used much nowadays, but at one time they did have a very practical use,” he smiled mischievously at him, “gulyas did not refrain from attacking strangers on the plains; many times these same strangers attacked the herds. It was a dangerous time, and, the plains were featureless, so gulyas trained their horses to lay flat on the ground, so they could easily ambush unsuspecting strangers, mounting rapidly with those saddles to give chase.”
That was certainly not the answer he expected; it threw a new light on what he was watching in front of him. Everything seemed to have an underlying story and he was beginning to understand Bacsi’s warning of being alert to what is around you.
“So, are you ready to try your hand at mounting one of our great Noniusz?”
How does he do that? Jonathan did have an urge to try, but also a reluctance too.
“Noniusz?”
“Yes, that is the Hungarian contribution to horse breeding; these horses are the result of over two centuries of breeding and training; they are our pride and joy. But you have not answered my question.”
Jonathan sighed, “Maybe tomorrow.”
Footsteps behind them interrupted their conversation.
“Jonathan, Sabina and I must return to Watch Mountain Camp today, Arminius is leaving for Karlsburg soon and the news about this war between Serbia and Austria is disturbing. If your health continues to improve, you should be able to leave tomorrow. I would like to see you back at the camp as soon as possible, even if I am not there.”
“We’ll take care of him Doc.”
Quincey's declaration touched Jonathan; he felt less alone with his burden.
The professor looked solemnly at Quincey,“I am confident in your abilities my friend, and in all of our other fine companions, thank you.”
“I would also like to confer with Sister Agatha about our safety and our ability to travel back home. If we are able, I will try to send a telegraph to London. Can I include any messages from either of you?”
His question was met with silence. After a moment he suggested, “If you wish, write any notes before I leave, and I will do my best to ensure they are sent.”
“What is happening professor, I guess I haven’t been thinking about much else while I was sick?”
Jonathan almost felt sorry for the professor when he saw the tormented look on his face.
“My dear boy,” he choked, and then gained some composure, “the world has changed while you slept.”
“I fear madmen have taken over and reason has been abandoned. But, to be more specific, according to the news Bacsi and Sabina brought us, the railroads have been commandeered by the military, and therefore all traffic is now approved by the military. That is of our immediate concern, and the major stumbling block on our ability to go home.”
He felt the bottom drop out from under him as the professor continued speaking, his gaze blank as he tried to let the words sink in; his thoughts of returning home any time soon, shattered.
“…, therefore, it is of the utmost importance that I leave now before we are more completely closed in.”
Karoly interrupted, “Professor do not leave until you have had some of our fine gulyas stew, szekelygulyas, made with the fresh meat Sabina and Bacsi brought with them; it has been simmering all morning and is almost ready.”
“Well we certainly have time for that,” the professor agreed as he allowed himself to be led away to the camp table.
Jonathan watched them leave then turned to Bacsi, he was still in the throes of trying to understand their situation. “Did I miss something that everyone else is aware of?”
Bacsi guffawed strong enough to end up choking. Catching his breath he explained, “No, no,” pausing to clear his throat, “it is that there is so much no one knows that all we have are questions for now. No one knows anything more than you do.”
“Well, I can’t say that’s a relief.”
Bacsi snorted, “I agree with you, it’s no comfort. We all will have to wait and see, it is a difficult task to be patient. I think that is why the professor chooses to leave today, he feels he must do something; but sometimes it is better to do nothing.” He looked at Jonathan, “We will see.”
Stefan brought two wooden trenches over to them, piled with potatoes and meat. The aroma of onions and spices permeated the air around them.
“This is Karoly’s recipe, we had it many times while herding on the pustza. He harvests the caraway during the winter when we are near the wetlands.”
“Tell him we are honored, as always, when he is able to prepare this bounty for us.”
The camp was silent during the meal, and, when Nicolai stood up and brought the coffee pot around for everyone, it was by general consensus to allow this respite from duties to last a little longer. However the sun moved on, and slowly one by one bestirred themselves to end the idle; some to prepare for their journey back to Watch Mountain, others to clean up.
“Quincey, Jonathan, do not forget to give me your notes before I leave.”
Quincey came over to hand him pencil and a small pad, then returned to a cleared portion of the camp table.
Jonathan just stared at the paper. Bacsi finally asked, “Are you not going to write?”
“I don’t know what to say, where to begin.”
“Well, what do you want to say?”
“I want to come home.”
Bacsi waved his hands, “Then write.”
Jonathan did so. He looked up, “But I can’t.”
Bacsi waved his hands again, and again he wrote.
“I wish I had never left London.”
Bacsi nodded and waved.
“But what is done is done, and now I am stuck here.”
He thought of all the things he wanted to tell them, but knew he could not, there was not enough space, it would have to wait.
“There is so much to tell you, but it will have to wait.”
He looked around at Karoly and Stefan getting the horses ready, Nicolai, cleaning up the camp kitchen, the professor rustling around inside the tent, and Sabina, coming over to pour another cup of coffee for Bacsi, gently inquiring whether he will be comfortable waiting until tomorrow to travel.
He wrote again, “But if I must be here for now, I am happy to be with all the people I have met while here.”
He finished the note and carefully stood up, testing his balance and vision before moving a step. Satisfied, he walked over to the professor as he emerged from the tent.
Startled,the professor paused in front of him.
Jonathan handed the note to him, “This is the first time we will be traveling separately, be safe professor, we all need you.”
“My dear boy, thank you,” he gently grabbed Jonathan by both shoulders, “I will be waiting for you at camp, we will find a solution for what has happened, I have faith.”
“I do too.” He smiled wanly at the professor, he did have faith, but he also knew his old world was gone, and he had to find his way in this new one.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Readers, do not feel obligated to comment. But, if my writing is unclear, confusing, and/or contradictory THAT is what I need to know. If a passage is boring, or irrelevant, do let me know. I am purposely withholding comments from the blog, as I do want my readers, if any do decide to comment, not to be sidetracked by another's comments. Rest assured, all will be read by me.